Sunday, July 25, 2010
Raspberry Walnut Rugelach

Rugelach

Remember how I confessed to just not being a "cookie lover"? Well, there must exist some technicality that prevents rugelach from being classified as a cookie, because as of today...I love rugelach. More realistically, I could love rugelach. I made an almost classic variation with raspberry jam, walnuts, and semisweet chocolate chips. The recipe is great, but I had mixed feelings about the batch I made. For one, I'm not a big fan of chocolate. I know...a food blogger that isn't fond of chocolate or cookies, some might consider it an oxymoron. If and when I make these again, I'll probably cut down on the chocolate and definitely make the trip to go buy some currants or dried fruit, because although the cookie itself was flaky and tender, the texture of the filling left much to be desired. I'm also sure that the fruity flavor of the currants would lighten up the richness of the chocolate. So I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm not in love with these cookies as much as I am in love with the idea of what they could be.

Please don't let my rambling stop you from trying these cookies. The fact that they're Dorie's should be enough motivation to get you in the kitchen. And besides, the majority of my reservations are based solely on my inability to stick to the recipe in the first place...as soon as I add those currants, I might as well delete this whole rant and simply post five gold stars underneath picture.

Enough, enough. Run away before I start up again, you can find the recipe here.

 

6 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Those are precious! I love rugelach but haven't tried many variations - raspberry and chocolate paired together are beautiful, and if it's one of Dorie's recipes... Even better.

Carolyn said...

I adore rugelach!!! Flakey tender crust with so much good stuff inside.

The Urban Baker said...

I just made a huge batch of rugelach this past weekend. Raspberry-chocolate-pistachio. Whatever the combo...it is all so good. Yours look divine!

Anonymous said...

you should try this with cinnamon and sugar and ground walnuts. THATS some yummy rugelach.

Gluten Free Products said...

Cupcakes are a popular kind of cakes among all generations especially the young ones and the youths. They have been used in different occasions and they stand out from other different cakes that are available in the market.

Unknown said...

try this with cinnamon