Friday, April 24, 2009
Strawberry-Lemon Curd Galette

Those mornings when I wake up with a craving for something sweet and ample time to make something from scratch are the bane of my existence. The fact that I have a refrigerator full of fresh strawberries just waiting for new, yummy ways to be enjoyed only amplifies the danger. I'm catching up a little late with the discovery of lemon curd, but ever since I got my hands on some a few weeks ago, I can't get enough of the stuff. On crepes, on cake, there's no possible vessel for lemon curd that I won't try...so I thought to myself, why not a galette? I've always wanted to try my hand at the simple, free-form pastry and I finally found the perfect opportunity. The tart sweetness of the strawberries and lemon helped balance the soft, buttery crust.

Strawberry-Lemon Curd Galette

Pate Sucree
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 stick butter
2-4 tablespoons ice water

Mix the flour and sugar in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the motor running, add the ice water; process only enough to moisten the dough and have it just come together. Dump the dough out onto a floured board and knead quickly into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to one hour.

Galletes
1 pate sucree
lemon curd
Strawberries, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 tablespoon honey
1-2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk or water for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Mix the strawberries, cornstarch, honey, and lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.

Roll out the crust to about 1/4 inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter. Top with a few tablespoons of lemon curd. Placed the strawberries on top of the curd in an even layer, leaving a one inch ring around. Fold the edges of dough over the strawberries. Brush the dough with the egg wash and bake for 20-25 minutes until the crust is browned and the center is bubbling.


 

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love lemon curd and berries! beautiful pics!!!

Sweet Bird said...

The combo of strawberries and lemon curd makes my heart sing. I made a similar tart last summer, but I may try your galette next time.

FuriousFeng said...

I really really like your blog! I just bought ramekins, I think i will have to try your chocolate souffle recipe. ^^

Amber said...

Looks delish, great blog! By the way... lemon curd is super easy to make, and tastes even better homemade! See my recipe at my blog: http://lovesfoodlovestoeat.blogspot.com/2009/07/happy-birthday-lady-liberty.html

Nevita said...

everything look so delicious

Sheila said...

Wow! I just stumbled upon your blog, this looks incredible! I am definitely going to make this next strawberry season!