Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Millionaire's Shortbread


I love how my new camera can make even the most disappointing attempts look deliciously mouth-watering. The recipe for Millionaire's Shortbread seemed simple enough: buttery shortbread crust, creamy dulce de leche center, and smooth chocolate on top. Unfortunately for me, despite my many victories in much more complex areas of baking, these basic treats had me stumped. First, there was my use of an 8x8 inch pan instead of a 9x9 inch, which left me with a slightly too overwhelming shortbread base. Then my compulsive need to achieve a darker, more caramel colored dulce de leche, which required more cooking time, but ultimately left me with only a small amount of nearly unspreadable sauce. Finally, there was the fact that I couldn't find the kitchen scale amidst all the Christmas-prep chaos in order to properly measure the chocolate because the recipe I found gave the amount in only ounces and grams. So I eyeballed both the chocolate and the butter that I needed to melt into the topping and was left with a not so flawless finish. (However, this mishap I grew to overlook as the swirled chocolate on top looked so charmingly homemade)

I certainly would like to try it again, especially since I hate to leave such "defeats" unresolved. But for now, the end product is edible and really, I just wanted to take my new camera for a spin.


Millionaire's Shortbread
recipe from Joy of Baking

 

4 comments:

Sarah Caron said...

Sorry that this attempt didn't work out as planned. I hate when that happened. But they do look scrumptious, nonetheless.

Elise said...

oh my.. I had such problems with my millionaire's shortbreads this year also. I somehow managed to burn my caramel. But nevertheless, they look great!

Tasty Table said...

Hi! Yeah i know how you must feel! But as long as it tastes good that's all that matters! Also i'm just interested to know what camera you're using? Would you recommend it? Thanks :)

Lisa S said...

They do look good. But the question remains...how did they taste?