Thursday, March 3, 2011
Raspberry Frangipane Slice

Raspberry Frangipane Slice

You know when you finally convince yourself to buy that special, expensive ingredient and as soon as you place it in your pantry it just sits there...to special to be used. That happens to a lot of the things I buy. As you can probably attest to, baking isn't exactly the cheapest hobby. Over the next few weeks I'm forcing myself to suck it up and use some of my coveted ingredients that have been sitting around. In the next few weeks expect to find a dessert incorporating the chestnut cream I bought on my last trip to Paris that I just haven't had the heart to use yet. But for today, the star of the dish is the almond meal that was tucked away in my refrigerator.

The recipe is a combination of the shortbread crust from my favorite lemon bar recipe and the almond cream (frangipane) recipe from the (equally coveted and rarely used) Tartine cookbook.



Raspberry Frangipane Slice

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cups almond meal
1/2 cup sugar
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1 tablespoon whole milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
pinch of salt
1/4 cup raspberry jam (or as desired)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Combine the flour, powdered sugar, and the first amount of butter. Pat dough into prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the frangipane topping. Beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Add the sugar and mix to incorporate. Add the almond flour and beat until thoroughly combined. Add the salt, almond extract (if using), and egg and mix until incorporated. Add the milk and beat until light and fluffy.

Spread raspberry jam (or any flavor that you like) on the warm crust. Pour the frangpiane mixture on top of the jam layer and spread evenly with an angled spatula, making sure to cover the jam completely.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Halfway through baking sprinkle sliced almonds on top of the frangipane if desired. Cool completely before cutting to serve.

 

19 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh yes, the ingredients that are too good to be used. i know those all too well. I'm so glad you used that almond meal because these bars look delicoius!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Oh my! This sounds sooooo yummy!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

Tine said...

These look delish!

Kathleen said...

What a beautiful site, and a beautiful slice! YUM! Can't wait to make. Thanks so much for posting.
Kathleen

Brilynn said...

I definitely have some of those ingredients! Those bars look awesome!

Anonymous said...

These look so beautiful! This is the kind of dessert I would want to really savor, especially with special ingredients!

Couldn't Be Parve said...

These look great! Do you know if they would freeze well? I want to make them in advance if possible. Thanks

Colette (Coco) said...

I understand exactly. I used to do that, until I realized that since I waited too long to use a fancy/expensive ingredient, it went rancid.
So now I try to enjoy things as much as possible.

I keep almond meal in the freezer. Works great!
Oh and if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have a good price on it. Look in the baking section.

Julie said...

This sounds great and I plan on making it this week. But would you please clarify the last sentence in the 2nd paragraph? Is the 2nd 'milk' supposed to be 'beat' until light and fluffy?

Thanks!
Julie

Julie said...

Over a month ago, I posted a comment asking you for clarification on the recipe. The comment was posted, but you didn't actually respond to the question, nor was the recipe modified.

mayan. said...

Hi Julie (Jujubee),

Thank you for the friendly reminder about the recipe correction. I apologize for not replying or seeing to the error until now. I am on a short hiatus from my blog due to school and it will hopefully be over soon. The change has been made in the post.

Thanks again!

Colette (Coco) said...

Hi, Mayan.
I made your frangipane and it turned out great.
But, my jam melted into the almond cream.
How do you get yours to stay a beautiful, separate layer like that?

Pink Piccadilly Pastries said...

I can so relate!! My pantry is full of those special things that I order online then tuck away for a special occasion! I ordered some espresso powder from King Arthur Flour, and when I finally decided to open it to use, it had turned hard and had to be thrown away!! I just found your blog. Your photos are so beautiful!

mrs lovely usa said...

Absolutely beautiful

Natasha said...

In England, we call this Bakewell Tart :0)

Unknown said...

It is your colourful blog that brings me a lot of knowledge about living. 
| Jual Baju Online
| Suplier Baju

Unknown said...

wow so yummy! I'll definitely mimic this at home for my kids. Thanks for sharing Miss Mayan♥
xoxo
jogara
cakes bakery in Brooklyn

Sweeter Life Club said...

I like this delicious Almond and Raspberry Slice because it's healthy and tasty.


Almond and Raspberry Slice Recipe

Stellas Kitchen Corner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.