Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Chocolate Meringues


Earlier this week my sister and I discovered a case of Trader Joe's Chocolate Meringues in the kitchen and our curiousity led us to find that they were, in fact, quite delicious. Unfortunately, the next day they had completely disappeared. My mother had taken them to work with her, leaving us meringue-less. So to sate our cravings and my boredom I figured I'd try making chocolate meringues from scratch.

After making the incredibly simple batter, I had a little fun experimenting with shapes, piping the meringues into swirls, "kisses", wafers, and blossoms and finally decided to finish the rest of the batter in the "kiss" shape. Unfortunately my star frosting tip was nowhere to be found or I would have piped the batter with that instead of my round tip and would have ended up with meringues almost identical to the Trader Joe's version.

In the end, the meringues were perfectly light and chocolately, however, not exactly the same texture as the ones I meant to replicate. Nevertheless, they were adorable and very low in calories, the perfect guilt-free relief for any chocolate craving.



Chocolate Meringues

2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (120 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.

In a large metal or glass bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar while continuing to beat until they hold stiff peaks. Mix in the vanilla and cocoa on low speed. Pipe small mounds of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch apart.

Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven. Turn off oven, and leave the cookies in the oven for 45 minutes, or until centers are dry. Remove from pan and store in an airtight container.


 

1 comments:

BunnyliciouS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.