Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Zucchini Bread


Speaking of turning things laying around the kitchen into irresistible goodies, my mother came home last week with a few zucchinis from her best friend's vegetable garden and requested I try making a zucchini bread for her. Unable to acquire a summer job and bored out of my wits—how could I resist?

So bright-eyed and naive, I set out to meet my mother's demands. The preparation process was much more time-consuming and labor-intensive than I had anticipated and my *poor little handmixer, passed down by my mother, nearly beat its little heart out mixing the incredibly dense batter.

*NOTE: request new handmixer for Christmas...or maybe even a standmixer! *wishful thinking*

I apologize for the lack of pictures documenting the preparation, zucchini-bread-in-the-making is not nearly as appealing as zucchini bread fresh (and solid) out of the oven. The grating of the zucchini itself (it took me 3 large zucchinis) was rather messy and burdensome—imagine zucchini-string covered fingers and you'll understand why I wasn't able to take pictures, much less wield a camera.


Albeit, the resulting loaf was worth the toil. The bread was moist and dense (and already partly missing by the time I came back to check on it on the cooling rack) and, needless to say, proclaimed success by the household. The recipe yielded two loaves, the second of which I added walnuts to, because my mother happens to love nuts and I usually prefer most things without.

Zucchini Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3-4 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)


Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

Note: My cook time for my oven was 55 minutes.

 

0 comments: