Friday, November 7, 2008
Persimmon Waffles with Cinnamon Honey Butter

Last weekend I finally got that waffle maker I've been literally dreaming about. After confiding to my mother that I actually lost sleep at school one night thinking of waffles. Crazy, I know. I've never had an obsessive craving like that before. She just laughed at me and told me I could pick up a waffle maker at Costco and the next morning I got my long-awaited satisfaction. It was pouring so hard outside that we were all shut inside the house and our family got to have a real breakfast together for the first time in a long while.

This week I wanted to try something new and a little more indulgent than the classic waffles and maple syrup. The idea donned on me as I woke up this morning: Persimmon Waffles! I didn't want to overpower the taste of the persimmon with bold maple syrup, so I decided on making a sweet Cinnamon Honey Butter to compliment the spice-filled waffles.

Tonight my mission is a fried chicken dinner for the family, so since I've got lots of grocery shopping to fill my day I'll keep this post short. I've got a delicious breakfast in my tummy and I'm ready to go!


Persimmon Waffles

2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup persimmon, pureed
1 tablespoon white sugar

1 teaspoon brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, puree, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.

Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.


Cinnamon Honey Butter

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a medium bowl, combine butter, confectioners' sugar honey and cinnamon. Beat until light and fluffy.

 

8 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

These are some unique waffles. My mother eats persimmons by the bushels but I've never gotten fond of them. Maybe in these waffles. . .yummy?

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I always wanted to bake something with persimmons in it!

a quiet life said...

what a wonderful combo!

Helene said...

You had me at persimmon...ok and waffles :)

PGbee said...

Is there possibly a mistake in this recipe? In the ingredients list there is no mention of vegetable oil, but in the directions it says to add in vegetable oil (between the milk and sugar).

mayan. said...

PGbee: Wow, thank you. I never noticed the mistake. I actually had to go back and do some research on the origins of this recipe. The instructions are mistaken and I'll fix it ASAP. The persimmon puree in the ingredients list is taking the place of the vegetable oil used in the original recipe. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Jackie said...

Hi Mayan

You list 1/2 cinnamon, is that 1/2 teaspoon or 1/2 tablespoon etc. Also, where do you purchase persimmon puree.

mayan. said...

Wow. I really ought to stop rushing when I type up these recipes. Haha. I apologize again. It's definitely 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. And I'm not sure if you can purchase pureed persimmon, I simply pureed some of the fruit in the blender.