Thursday, January 7, 2010
Raspberry Bakewell Tartelettes

The only thing that makes a great recipe better is when it carries over into another great recipe. This greatness is applicable to the Apple Frangipane Tart that graced my Christmas dessert spread. Case in point, Raspberry Bakewell Tartelettes made from the irresistibly fragrant vanilla bean frangipane left over from the apple tart. I've wanted to make a Bakewell tart ever since the Daring Bakers flooded Tastespotting with their beautiful tarts (er, puddings?) and I finally got my chance, albeit months later. But more importantly, none the less delicious. This was also a chance to use the precious raspberry preserves I brought back with me from my recent trip to Paris that I feared I treasured so much that I could never get myself to use it. Worth it? Yes indeed.


Bakewell Tart…er…pudding

Makes one 23cm (9” tart)

Sweet shortcrust pastry:
225g (8oz) all purpose flour
30g (1oz) sugar
2.5ml (½ tsp) salt
110g (4oz) unsalted butter, cold (frozen is better)
2 (2) egg yolks
2.5ml (½ tsp) almond extract (optional)
15-30ml (1-2 Tbsp) cold water

Sift together flour, sugar and salt. Grate butter into the flour mixture, using the large hole-side of a box grater. Using your finger tips only, and working very quickly, rub the fat into the flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Set aside.

Lightly beat the egg yolks with the almond extract (if using) and quickly mix into the flour mixture. Keep mixing while dribbling in the water, only adding enough to form a cohesive and slightly sticky dough.

Form the dough into a disc, wrap in cling and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes

Assembling the tart:
Jam or curd (I used the aforementioned Raspberry Preserves from Paris)
Frangipane (I used the leftover frangipane cream from this recipe)

Place the chilled dough disc on a lightly floured surface. If it's overly cold, you will need to let it become acclimatised for about 15 minutes before you roll it out. Flour the rolling pin and roll the pastry to 5mm (1/4”) thickness, by rolling in one direction only (start from the centre and roll away from you), and turning the disc a quarter turn after each roll. When the pastry is to the desired size and thickness, transfer it to the tart pan, press in and trim the excess dough. Patch any holes, fissures or tears with trimmed bits. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 200C/400F.

Remove shell from freezer, spread as even a layer as you can of jam onto the pastry base. Top with frangipane, spreading to cover the entire surface of the tart. Smooth the top and pop into the oven for 30 minutes. Five minutes before the tart is done, the top will be poofy and brownish.

The finished tart will have a golden crust and the frangipane will be tanned, poofy and a bit spongy-looking. Remove from the oven and cool on the counter. Serve warm, with crème fraîche, whipped cream or custard sauce if you wish.

When you slice into the tart, the almond paste will be firm, but slightly squidgy and the crust should be crisp but not tough.

 

6 comments:

All Things Considered said...

That looks delicious!!!!

Lexy said...

Why does it say "When you slice into the tart, the ALMOND PASTE" will be firm when there is no almond paste in the recipe? Please answer...I'm anxious to give this a try. Please email the response to me at yxelyxel@gmail.com
Thank you, I don't want to miss the answer.

mayan. said...

Hi Lexy! Sorry for the misunderstanding, the "almond paste" mentioned at the end of the recipe is referring to the baked almond frangipane inside the tart. Hope you enjoy the recipe! I will also email this response to you.

Lexy said...

Thanks for your quick answer. I just wanted to make sure something wasn'tmissing in the recipe.

Lexy said...

Mayan....I bet you would get more comments if you used a different letter-number anti-robot system. It takes me forever to figure out the blurry names, numbers etc. Many people have much easier ones to type....yours is really crummy. Sorry to say...I really think some people try and then just give up.11

mayan. said...

Thanks Lexy. I never thought of that. I just turned off the "word verification" setting. I didn't think it was activated, but it might have been triggered by the amount of spam comments I received over the last year.