Thursday, August 5, 2010
Orange Milk Sherbet

Scoops of Orange Sherbet

I only recently discovered my fondness for Orange Sherbet. I recall throughout my lifetime hearing others exclaim their love for the treat and disregarding them almost instantly. It was a chance encounter with a grocery store Orange Sherbet ice cream cake, something that I would normally overlook without a second thought. Soon, a small slice turned into a second and a third...an accompaniment to my breakfast cereal, an after school snack...until one day, it was gone. There was something undeniably nostalgic about the flavor that I just couldn't place. And then suddenly, I had it. I even called my sister from across the house to have a taste and confirm my suspicion. Orange Sherbet tasted oddly like...Fruity Pebbles. Yes, Fruity Pebbles: a childhood favorite from my pre-gourmet days. A flavor-memory that I still find hard to resist when it crosses my path. Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.

Behold, my hand-churned orange sherbet. Now before you start thinking that you ought to be impressed...my decision to hand-churn the ice cream was based more on desperation than inspiration. I had prepared and chilled my rather impromptu sherbet mixture and was starting to assemble the ice cream maker attachment on my KitchenAid stand mixer when I realized that the adapter was missing. What ensued first was panic, then frustration, and finally...insanity.

My freezer bowl was already out and starting to condensate. I had to act quick. I grabbed the chilled mixture and poured it into the bowl. I hastily set the microwave timer to twenty minutes, grabbed the plastic churner and began to spin the bowl with my left hand, while my right hand clenched tightly onto the top of the churner. I tried my best to keep my knuckles away from the freezing mixture. The end result was light and slightly creamy, with the tiny ice crystals characteristic of a sherbet. Thanks to my unwavering will and endurance, the consistency is exactly what I expected to achieve if I had used the ice cream maker.

Orange Sherbet Duo

This orange sherbet is not so much the result of a recipe, but the outcome of trial and error. I'm so embarrassed by my method that I won't even attempt to post a recipe or instructions. I simply took a few scoops of vanilla ice cream (cheating? perhaps, but I told you this was very impromptu), a teaspoon and a half of vanilla, a splash of milk perhaps (I used soy), and enough orange juice concentrate to achieve the flavor you want.

Not really faithful to a real Sherbet at all I suppose, but it satisfied my (Fruity Pebble) craving.

Orange Sherbet

 

6 comments:

heather said...

your description actually reminds me of the orange Flintstones push pops from way back when [do they still make those?]. my absolute favorite icy treat on a hot summer day as a child. might have to attempt it!

cheers,

*heather*

Elizabeth said...

Oh well...it still looks delicious!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

There's nothing wrong with a semi-homemade recipe to satisfy a craving. Especially when it looks and sounds this delicious. Lovely styling.

Frankie said...

this looks ridiculously creamy and delicious anyway!

Alisa said...

well it looks good enough for me!I'd love to try this soon :)

Karmel-itka said...

och... yummi!