Friday, December 10, 2010
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting and Streusel

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting with Brown Sugar Crumble

After a long hiatus, this blog is finally back in action. During the past few months of this break I've been able to concentrate on school and clean up my diet. Perhaps a greater influence on my blogging than my academic schedule has been my attempt to overcome my dependency on sugary sweets. Today I am very happy to say that one of these bad boys is the first homemade treat that I've had in months. And as delicious as it was, there was something different. The way I felt when I ate it was different...less ravenous. I savored every bite of it, but when it was over I didn't run back for more.

Now although this new found lifestyle may mean great things for me, I'm not exactly sure what the significance is for my blogging. This holiday season will definitely warrant much more baking and testing of my self control. So for now, I'll resist making any predictions until the end of the holidays. Enjoy yours, as I enjoy mine...and try these cupcakes!

Pumpkin Cupcakes Taking a Dive

These cupcakes were made using the leftover batter I had after making a pumpkin bundt cake for an end-of-the-semester/Christmas party on Wednesday night. Like the cake, they are topped with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting, but are taken a step further with a sprinkling of brown sugar crumble.

Pumpkin Cupcakes (allrecipes)

2 cups white sugar
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups canned pumpkin
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine sugar and oil. Blend in vanilla and pumpkin, then beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Pour batter in muffin tin, filling cups 3/4 full.

Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.



Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
(allrecipes)

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon

In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the powdered sugar. Mix in cinnamon, add more if desired. Store in the refrigerator after use.



Brown Sugar Crumble
(allrecipes)

1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter, melted

Line a sheet pan with foil. Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and melted butter together. Crumble onto sheet pan, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake crumble for 10 minutes or until brown, watching carefully.



Pumpkin Cupcakes

 

10 comments:

Jenn said...

Great photos. These sound yummy.

Lauren Carlson said...

I made these and they were a hit! I put lots more cinnamon in the frosting and drizzled a little maple syrup on top:)Thanks for the recipe!

mayan. said...

Lauren: I'm glad they turned out so well! I really wanted to incorporate maple syrup into the frosting as well, however, since I first used the frosting to glaze the bundt I made, I was already adding so much sugar just to get the consistency right for frosting cupcakes. It would have called for just too much sugar if I added anymore liquid, but it sounds great with your alterations. I'll have to make them again with the syrup.

michelle said...

I would love to try baking these for my boyfriend because he absolutely loves pumpkin pie! Just to make sure some will be left over for my friends and I, how many cupcakes does this recipe yield?

P.S. love your blog!

mayan. said...

Michelle: I can't say for sure exactly how many cupcakes this recipe makes, because I made it as a bundt cake and used the remaining batter to make these cupcakes. However, others who have used the recipe to make a full batch of cupcakes say that it yields at least 28 cupcakes when you fill the muffin tins 3/4 full.

I really hope they're a hit for you too!

Penny Auction Bidding said...

This is known as the yummy idea!!!

Unknown said...

I just made these, and they are absolutely to die for! Thanks :)

Nancy said...

Bringing these to Thanksgiving dinner for a birthday surprise. Made the cupcake part last night and the family loved them so much they ate 1/2 already - without the frosting!

Anonymous said...

Just made these and they came out awesome! I'm sure they'll be a big hit at thanksgiving! :)

Unknown said...

i want to try this