Thursday, September 4, 2008
Home Sweet Home


As I promised, here are pictures of my dormitory: Meadowlands Hall. The beautiful building is the oldest residence hall and the only original estate home remaining on campus. Meadowlands Hall was built in 1888 and served as the summer home of Michael de Young and his family. The de Young's are the founders of the San Francisco Chronicle and the de Young Museum, also in San Francisco. In 1918, the Dominican Sisters purchased the stately parcel. The hall features fine leaded glass windows, the mural-clad Hunt Room, the Meadowlands Assembly Hall, and a sweeping front porch facing the sprawling Meadowlands lawn and a view of Mt. Tamalpais.




Haha. I admit, I copied that right off of my university's website. However, the photos are all mine and there are so many beautiful corners of the campus that I've only been able to cover a few places on foot with my camera in hand. There's a breathtaking array of flowers on campus and even an international botanical garden. I love being surrounded by so much green, the impeccably trimmed lawns and the hundreds of trees add to the romantic feel of the environment and make the walk to class a literal stroll in the park. Another feature I love is that my dormitory is not far off from the building of the Music Department and my walks are often accompanied by decorative piano, violin, or the occassional clarinet.

As much as I adore my campus, I have to admit that it feels so good to be home again for the weekend. The manicured scenery and the organic salad bar filled with local produce could only charm me for so long. The confortability of home has a way of sneaking up behind me and forcing me out the healthy habits I have clung to for the whole week and within minutes of hitting the couch I began to crave salty, sweet, flavorful-all at once. So...





...this is what happened. [Baked] Sweet Potato Fries sprinkled with Thyme. Mmm...everything I craved without the guilt and glutton of traditional fries. Do I regret it? Not at all. Sometimes a pat on the back for a studious week at school can be found in the form of a little healthy self-indulgence.

Haha, well I've been asked for the recipe for these sweet potato fries and I'm afraid that I can't really give an official one. They were really sort of a product of boredom and curiousity. Simply put, preheat oven to 350F, peel and slice a few sweet potatoes (some people like to slice their fries in wedges, but I find that thinner sliced fries never get as soggy) and drizzle with olive oil. In a separate bowl mix an appropriate amount of flour with a teaspoon of thyme or seasoning of your choice. Lightly coat the fries in the flour and herb mixture, lay out onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or so.

*NOTE: Although these are originally "baked" sweet potato fries, I later realized that tossing them in a skillet after baking until their browned ensures that the fries have a nice crispy texture. That's just a personal observation, because I tend to prefer my fries a bit browned.

Hopefully more culinary adventures to come while I'm home for the next few days.




 

4 comments:

Sarah R said...

These are a favourite of mine... I love using garlic salt or lime salt on mine!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Baked? You got me interested.

Recipe, please.

mayan. said...

Thank you for your interest nate-n-annie! I have edited the post to include a sort of "rough recipe" for the Sweet Potato Fries.

Anonymous said...

Haii is it ture that meadowlands hall is haunted by blue boy @ night or is it the person that killed him and also is it ture that in halloween the attic is open to everyone the attic because that is where his murder was?