Saturday, September 13, 2008
Carrot Cake

This weekend my mom asked me to bake another bread pudding-yet again. Considering that it would've been my fourth bread pudding within the span of a month, I honestly told her that I would bake anything but. So I listed to her some possibilities and she quickly decided upon a carrot cake. Although I had been hoping to try a pie recipe sometime soon, I was just as content to take my first shot at a layered cake.

I did run into a few minor problems, the cake stuck to the bottom of the pan, bits and pieces of cake remained stuck to the bottom when I forced it out. But on a positive note, that gives me an excuse to buy a new foolproof cake pan next weekend. Hehe.

A few changes I will make next time: 1) Replace the 2 cups of white sugar with 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar for a richer cake. 2) My sister suggested that a little cinnamon in the frosting would take the cake to the next level (and after we test-tasted a little cinnamon sprinkled on the frosting leftover on the handmixer, I agreed. haha).

Carrot Cake

4 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.

In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake. Sprinkle with additional chopped pecans, if desired.

 

0 comments: