Friday, September 5, 2008
Miniature Cinnamon Sugar Crepes

On my first morning back home from school I found myself all alone with nothing to do and nothing to eat for breakfast. Having been away from a kitchen all week I couldn't convince myself not to back and just relax. My biggest fear was preparing a big batch of delicious something that I would feel obligated to finish all by myself.

Ready to take a risk, I set out to bake myself an "individual" batch of crepes. I was really worried that scaling down a recipe might change the consistency of the crepes themself, but to my relief they came out just as I had hoped. Light and ever-so delicious.

To keep it light I simply spread a light layer of butter on the inside of the crepe and sprinkled it with a little powdered sugar and cinnamon. After folding it into quarters I lightly dusted the crepe with a little more sugar and cinnamon for a little extra flavor and added cuteness. It's hard to tell from the picture but these crepes really were tiny, maybe 4 inches in diameter. The added vanilla filled the kitchen with such a heavenly aroma as soon as the batter hit the skillet.

Here's the full serving recipe:

Basic Crepes

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt


Combine eggs, milk, butter, vanilla, and salt in a bowl. Sift together flour and sugar and beat into egg mixture until smooth.

Heat a lightly greased skillet and about 3 tablespoons of batter. Tilt skillet so that the batter spreads to almost cover the bottom of the skillet. Cook until lightly browned; turn and brown the other side. Repeat process with remaining batter, grease skillet as needed.

Yields approximately 6 servings.

I choose to have my crepes with cinnamon and sugar, but the combinations are endless. Fresh fruit with whipped cream or Nutella, lemon juice with a light sprinkling of sugar, or a light layer of your favorite jam would make an equally delicious crepe. Omit the sugar and vanilla for light and fluffy, savory crepes.

 

1 comments:

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

These will be perfect for a nice lazy sunday home!! I will print this one and give it to hubby since he is charge of breakfast in our house!!